History of the Society
In 1927 the Barnet Record Society was formed and began a collection of documents and objects relating to the history of Barnet and the surrounding areas. After discovering that people thought the word ‘record’ indicated a music society, the name was changed in 1967 to Barnet & District Local History Society.
The Society’s first exhibition was held in the Barnet Council Chamber. However, as the years passed, the collection grew to such an extent that it become clear that it would need a permanent residence. On 19 March 1938 the collection was given a permanent home at 31 Wood Street where it has remained.
The museum is run by volunteers from the Society.
The area covered by the Society is: Chipping Barnet, East Barnet, New Barnet, West Barnet, Cockfosters, Arkley, Hadley, Whetstone and Totteridge.
The Society has around 250 members (see below for membership benefits and how to join).
• Monthly lectures on the 2nd Monday at 3.00pm (guests are welcome)
• Summer outings to places of interest at cost
• Regular Newsletter
• Research Papers
• Summer Garden Party (small charge)
• Access to an excellent archive and referencelibrary
• The assistance of Museum staff with research into local and family history
• Individual £10 per year
• Family/ Joint £12 per year
• Life Membership £200 for life
Subscriptions are renewable each January
• Print out and fill in the application form here
• Also available from Barnet Museum – drop in or write to the Membership Secretary at the address below.
Where to send application forms and subscriptions:
• Hand it in at Barnet Museum
• Post it to: Membership Secretary, Barnet Museum, 31 Wood Street, Barnet, Herts. EN5 4BE