DROM, DRIM, DRUM and DREM
all stem from this Celtic word for a ridge and are found all over Scotland,
the root word Druim it's self, is found in many locations; as in "Druim Albyn"
the ancient name for the backbone of Scotland that great ridge or spine of high mountains
running north and south from Ben Hope in Sutherland to Ben Lomond.
"Druim Derg Blathuug" (The Red Ridge of Blathuug)
site of the battle fought in the year 729 between Angus and Drust.
"Druim a Chait", (The Ridge of The Cat),
a lofty and abrupt ridge usually called Knock Farrel in the Parish of Fodderty, Easter Ross.
Knock Farrel is a Pictish vitrified fort crowning this ridge,
there are many legends associated with this site,
which is supposed to have been a stronghold of the Fionn warriors.
The two standing stones at the former church below
are claimed to have been hurled there by the hero Finn MacCoul himself in a trial of Strength.
The views from the ridge are splendid.
Toponomical use of Drimmie and Drummie is well documented from around
the middle of the 12th century, when in a grant to Cupar Angus Abbey,
Malcolm the 1V gave "The Grange of Drimmie" in the parish of Blairgowrie and Rattary.
The Abbey was also granted pasture in his "Forest of Drimmie".
In 1292 in a charter of King David II, reference is made to,
"The Forest of Drymmie" in the hands of Walter Moygh,
who again in 1359 is found in the Exchquer Rolls of Scotland,
when in the account of William of Keth Sherriff of Kyncardyn
rendered at Dundee 5th April 1359, the entry reads,
"And nothing for the Forest of Drumme,
because it is in the hands of Walter Moigue by gift of the King".
In the Cupar Abbey Rent Book the following entry for the "Lands of Drimmie",
shows how the spelling of names was largely dependent on the weilder of the pen.
There are many entries in the rent book with the following spellings;
Drymie, Drymmie, Drimmie, Drummie, Drumy, Drummy, Drome, Drwme, Drwmy,
Drymme, Drymy, Drymmy, Drume,
Hill of Drimmie in the Parish of Rattary is approximately eight hundred and twenty feet high
and has a stone circle which is one of many to be found in Perthshire.
It is assumed that these stone circles and other cup marked stones can generally
be attributed to the Neolithic race who inhabited the land,
they may either have been places of worship or burial.
The Burn of Drimmie which runs off this hill joins with the River Ericht a tributary
of the River Tay about four miles north of Rattary and to the east of the A.93.
Four farms in the area are named Drimmie
East Drimmie, Middle Drimmie, Milton of Drimmie and Cairns of Drimmie.
In Registrum Episcopatus Brechinensis we find..
Drimmie, Drymmie, Drymie, Drymme, Drimme.
In 16?? John Hill was in Easter Drummies in the Parish of Brechin.
The Lands of Drimmie in the Parish of Maryton in Angus are now known as
East Drums, Middle Drums and West Drums and lie on the estate of Aldbar
A sasine of charter, 1555, in favour of George Wishart of Wester Dod,
names the Lands of Drymme or Drum as being in the hands of George Wishart of Drymmie.
Drimmie at Rescobie is also well documented showing spelling variations:
(Drumie, Drymin, Dromy) the estate lies on that ridge of land
which rises above the loch and beneath the hill of Turin which is a site of great antiquity.
In Regesta Regum Scottorum 1365 in a charter of entail to Walter Olliphant
we find this entry recorded. "The Lands of Turin and Drimmie (Dromy)
in the Sherriffdom of Forfar in free Barony Edinburgh".
Drimmie an estate in the west of Longforgan Parish the mansion which stood on it
was the residence of the Kinnaird family. It was taken down about 1830.
Snabs of Drimmie, one hundred and seventy seven feet high,
are an abrupt termination of a beautiful bank extending north westwards
from the bold rocky point of Kingoodie about one mile west of Longforgan on the A85,
it commands a fine view of the Carse of Gowrie.
Drum as applied to a long rounded ridge of land, is still commonly used by farm workers.
Drumlin a usually oval ridge formed under the ice sheet during the Glacial Period.
Old Scottish has Drummieheid, the head of a ridge.
The diminutive of Druim, ridge, is Droman, little hill and from this comes,
Drummy, Drimmies, Drummies, the termination "an" added to a Gaelic noun converts
it to its diminutive. In the genative "an" becomes "ain".
The Scots diminutive termination is "ie" or "y" and in most Gaelic names
"an" or "ain" has become "ie" or "y" in Scots names.
In Drummy "an" has been made "y".
In Drummies and Drimmies "an" has been made both "ie" and "s".
The suffix "ie" is the favourite diminutive ending in Scots, it is not known in Old English.
For example, Bunty Robertson a native of Keith in north east Scotland
uses in her every day speech such phrases as,
"I was just speaking to a wee mannie"
The use of the suffix "ie" would be peculiar to that region north of the Forth
which corresponds to the territory which has been ascribed to the peoples called Picts,
descendants of differing iron-age invaders and of late bronze-age peoples
our ancestoral links to a misty past.
Early as Anglian speech was established, and long as it has been spoken to the exclusion
of all others, it has not prevailed to extirpate this word Druim,
so characteristic of Irish and Manx as of Scottish toponomy.
Last Update To This Page 27th January 2005 ©Alan Mitchell Drummie 2004